Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Relating Ways of Seeing to my latest piece


I like to say that my work resides somewhere between nostalgia and fantasy… My work references nostalgia of the past, childhood wonder, play, and interacting with one’s environment. My work stems from specific experiences and results in constructed narratives that may represent one experience, a combination of several experiences, or even a combination of experience and fantasy. I want my representations of these experiences to be available for all to relate to…a shared experience in a sense…it is fascinating how similar my shared memories are to the memories of other people that have shared their memories with me. 

I was excited to realize that much of what we are reading right now really relates to the latest figure that I have been working on in ceramics…it is called to each our own, and references perception, perception being something that is adopted even in our youngest years. What we see or believe is affected by what we want to see. I imagine this child holding his hands up to his eyes and face and in doing so, being able to see whatever he wants, whether that be real or not. This method of seeing what we want to see, or believing what we want to believe,  is done by everyone of all ages, no need for the playful gesture that the figure is making.



No comments:

Post a Comment